I absolutely LOVE this recipe. I could eat this carrot orange loaf every day. I created it for my Cafe but have started making it at home on my days off because my kids can’t get enough of it and I love it because it’s LOADED with carrots. Win win.
If you want it for breakfast it’s AWESOME just sprinkled with brown sugar, BUT if you want to make it more of a dessert (suggestion: serve it warm with vanilla ice-cream!!!), just mix some icing sugar with fresh squeezed orange juice until it’s a thick spreadable texture and lather the top of the loaf with it once cooled. Then top with crushed pecans if you want the nuts! Soooooo good!!!
INGREDIENTS (makes one loaf)
- 2 cups packed shredded carrot (at home I use a hand-held blender. At work I just grate the carrot on a cheese grater!).
- 1 large orange (all zest and juice used) (reserve a little orange juice if making the icing sugar glaze)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil + more for coating loaf tin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (+ more for topping loaf)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup (or as much as you like!) pecans
- optional: 1/2 tsp almond extract
- optional: powdered sugar
- In a large mixing bowl combine orange zest and juice, carrot, egg, milk, oil, vanilla and sugars. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix together cinnamon, baking soda and powder, salt and flour.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients.
- Pour mixture into a WELL OILED loaf tin.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- If NOT using icing sugar glaze, top with crushed pecans and sprinkle a generous amount of brown sugar on top.
- Bake for 65 – 80 minutes and allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- (If glazing, combine orange juice with about a 1/2 cup of icing sugar to desired consistency and spread over cooled loaf. Add crushed pecans immediately before glaze hardens).