I had some carrots that I wanted to use up so I decided to come up with a recipe for carrot muffins. This recipe turned out GREAT! I made 16 small muffins today and there are 3 left. My kids and my husband absolutely LOVE them. The best part is, because of the natural sweetness of the carrots and orange juice, I didn’t have to use much sugar. These muffins are LOADED with carrots so they’re healthy and will make the perfect snack for school lunches and something to grab on the way out the door.
I have a feeling I’m going to be making these A LOT!
NOTE ABOUT THE RECIPE: I used both oil and butter because I like the flavour and moist texture that using both provides. However, using one or the other would also work! I LOVE these with coconut sprinkled on top but you could also top them with chopped walnuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds, etc. for a delicious crunch and added healthy fat. You could also add raisins to the mix!
INGREDIENTS (makes about 16 small muffins)
- 2 small eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 Tbsp canola/vegetable oil OR coconut oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- OPTION: 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup orange juice (preferably fresh squeezed but any orange juice will do)
- 3 cups shredded carrot (I use a food processor to shred it but a cheese grater works too)
- OPTION: shredded coconut to sprinkle on top!
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl.
- Using a food processor, cream together butter, oil and sugars.
- Add vanilla extract and orange juice. Add eggs.
- Combine dry and wet ingredients and fold until everything is mixed.
- Stir in shredded carrot. Do not over-mix.
- Fill greased muffin tins to 3/4 full.
- Sprinkle on shredded coconut or nuts, if using.
- Bake in 375 degree pre-heated oven for 20 – 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before eating (if you can wait that long!).
NOTE: For more of a ‘dessert’ taste, these are incredible with vanilla cream cheese frosting on top!!